[OT] Re: The perfect MP3 player (hijacked into amateur financial planning rant)

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Sun Sep 18 16:12:55 MDT 2005

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Michael Halcrow wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 11:26:53AM -0600, Dave Smith wrote:
>> If there was something I'd rather be doing, I'd be doing it. In 10
>> years, I won't have a house payment anymore, and then I will be able
>> to do pretty much "whatever I flippin' feel like I want to do." :)
>
> Assuming you still have the same level of physical ability that you do
> today and your other commitments/responsibilities are about the
> same. Is it worth it to live in self-denial for 10 years, with a
> gamble that you will have no major unexpected health or family
> liabilities 10 years from now?

The old "save now, play later" strategy is a perfectly valid one as far as
I'm concerned. As long as you're not miserable now in the expectation of
some future emancipation, I think it's a very worthwhile path indeed. (The
danger, of course, as you pointed out, is to overestimate the future
reward.)

You make a decent point Halcrow, but it is rather amusing to note that the
original comparison was between buying mp3 players or paying off the
mortage. :-)

 	~ Ross