The perfect MP3 player

Grant Shipley gshipley at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 11:02:54 MDT 2005

On 9/18/05, Dave Smith <DavidSmith at byu.net> wrote:
> Yeah, I guess we all have our weaknesses... I waste my money on Roth IRA
> mutual funds, my 401(k), and paying down my house. I've never owned an
> MP3 player, except the Cassiopeia e15 I bought for $90 on Yahoo Auctions
> 5 years ago, with 16Mb of RAM, and that only played in mono, and barely
> at that. I should probably do a better job of contributing to the
> economy by spending more on electronics.

I hardly call putting money away in investments and savings a waste of
money or a weakness.  However, it is very important that we save
enough for our future (retirement) WHILE enjoying life now.  Call my
crazy but lets say for example I had 2000 a month to save, I would
rather save 1700 and budget in 100 a month for entertainment/toys and
another 200 a month for vacations.  But -- I am the type of person who
enjoys living in a 180k home and having extra money to spend while
others enjoy living in 400k homes with no money to spend.  It all
personal preference but please don't assume that because people buy
things they enjoy that they are not saving.

I am not a big fan of paying extra on my house every month.  Lets say
a house payment was 1000.00 a month but you had 1500.00 a month you
can spend on a house.  Wouldn't it be better to pay the 1000.00 and
put the other 500.00 in a savings account?  At the end of three years
you would have made your house payments and 18000k in a savings
account.  Then, when you lose you job, you can make your house payment
for 18 months (while looking for work) as opposed to owing a little
less but not having the money to make payments with the possibility of
losing your home.  When you have enough in your savings account to pay
off your home, do it then.