How to clean up apt-get

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Fri Sep 16 12:30:32 MDT 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 at 11:57 -0600, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying that gentoo does a better job than
> debian--imo they are both very comprobable.  I personally happen to like
> gentoo's interface much better than debians.  I think it's much simpler to
> learn and understand--whereas the default debian interface requires a gnu
> mind-set 'you _must_ read the docs and learn a bunch of one letter commands
> to navigate and do anything in the app'.

I sense you are talking about dselect. Here's a nugget of wisdom for
anyone who is going to try out debian in the near future or the near
past: AVOID DSELECT LIKE THE PLAGUE. Use aptitude instead. End of
lesson.

Those of you who have used dselect in the past, you can delete that from
your arsenal, it doesn't apply anymore.

--
 Hans Fugal                 | If more of us valued food and cheer and
 http://hans.fugal.net/     | song above hoarded gold, it would be a