How to clean up apt-get

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 12:28:06 MDT 2005

Al Byers wrote:

>>I remember dependency hell.  It's a vague and distant, yet unpleasant
>>memory.
>>Thank heaven for Gentoo ;)
>>/*
>>PLUG: http://plug.org, #utah on irc.freenode.net
>>Don't fear the penguin.
>>*/
>>

>Steve,
>
>How does Gentoo do a better job of this than Debian? Does it use Debian
>packages? Is the difference between Ubuntu, Debian and Gentoo lie in the
>strength of their package archives?
>
>-Al
>
>/*
>PLUG: http://plug.org, #utah on irc.freenode.net
>Don't fear the penguin.
>*/

Don't get me wrong, Ubuntu is a great way to install a distro, quick and
slick every single time, and I do have friends who run it successfully
w/o issue.  However MY experience with it post-install has not been very
pleasant.  As for Debian, I have never been able to get Debian to run on
any box I've tried it on. With Gentoo, once you get past the initial
install has always been a breeze for me.
But then you must also remember last time I went distro hopping, I had
been using FreeBSD as my desktop OS for about 2-3 years and got fed up
with not having Java, so I set out to find the most FreeBSD like distro
I could find.
Maybe thats why I'm such a Gentoo FanBoy ;)