How to clean up apt-get

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Fri Sep 16 12:22:27 MDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 11:57:10AM -0600, Nicholas Leippe wrote:

> I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying that gentoo does a better job than
> debian--imo they are both very comprobable.  I personally happen to like
> gentoo's interface much better than debians.  I think it's much simpler to

gentoo's interface of what? Are you referring to emerge? It'd be nice if
you corroborated your claim with some examples.

> learn and understand--whereas the default debian interface requires a gnu
> mind-set 'you _must_ read the docs and learn a bunch of one letter commands
> to navigate and do anything in the app'.

Again, examples and more context would be nice. "debian interface" of
what? Package management? There are several programs for dealing with
debian packages, all front-ends to dpkg, which you really shouldn't deal
with directly except for well, exceptional occasions.

> All-in-all, I've been equally impressed with their abilities to correctly
> resolve dependency issues and actually help me mitigate them, rather than rpm

Resolving dependencies when you're compiling everything from scratch is a
lot easier, I presume. Just grab all the sources and their dependencies
and compile them. There are no binary incompatibilities to deal with.

Of course you pay a price for that, but to say that one is "better" than
the other for dependency resolution isn't quite an accurate comparison.

-Roberto