How to clean up apt-get

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Fri Sep 16 11:57:10 MDT 2005

On Friday 16 September 2005 11:24 am, Al Byers wrote:
> How does Gentoo do a better job of this than Debian? Does it use Debian
> packages? Is the difference between Ubuntu, Debian and Gentoo lie in the
> strength of their package archives?

I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying that gentoo does a better job than
debian--imo they are both very comprobable.  I personally happen to like
gentoo's interface much better than debians.  I think it's much simpler to
learn and understand--whereas the default debian interface requires a gnu
mind-set 'you _must_ read the docs and learn a bunch of one letter commands
to navigate and do anything in the app'.

All-in-all, I've been equally impressed with their abilities to correctly
resolve dependency issues and actually help me mitigate them, rather than rpm
that just dumps a 'required libxyz.so is missing' error w/o telling me in
which rpm it is contained, nor giving me the option to just go get it and
install it also right then and there.

--
Respectfully,

Nicholas Leippe