How to clean up apt-get

Nicholas Leippe nick at
Fri Sep 16 11:57:10 MDT 2005

On Friday 16 September 2005 11:24 am, Al Byers wrote:
> How does Gentoo do a better job of this than Debian? Does it use Debian
> packages? Is the difference between Ubuntu, Debian and Gentoo lie in the
> strength of their package archives?

I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying that gentoo does a better job than
debian--imo they are both very comprobable.  I personally happen to like
gentoo's interface much better than debians.  I think it's much simpler to
learn and understand--whereas the default debian interface requires a gnu
mind-set 'you _must_ read the docs and learn a bunch of one letter commands
to navigate and do anything in the app'.

All-in-all, I've been equally impressed with their abilities to correctly
resolve dependency issues and actually help me mitigate them, rather than rpm
that just dumps a 'required is missing' error w/o telling me in
which rpm it is contained, nor giving me the option to just go get it and
install it also right then and there.

Nicholas Leippe
Sales Team Automation, LLC
1335 West 1650 North, Suite C