How to clean up apt-get

Tyler Strickland tyler at tylers.org
Fri Sep 16 11:44:23 MDT 2005

On 09/16/2005 11:22 AM, Al Byers wrote:
> Tyler,
>
> Thanks for your help. I noticed that the reason it fails the dependency
> is not the version number, but the fact that the ubuntu packages have
> "ubuntu" attached to them. So I guess ubuntu and debian archives are not
> compatible? Seems like a waste.
>
> -Al

Here's Ubuntu's explanation from
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/faq/helpcenterfaq.2004-09-15.7453904394

"Can I use both Ubuntu and Debian packages together, in the same
sources.list?

"In general, it's not a very good idea. While Debian and Ubuntu are
compatible to a large degree, and share many of the same source
packages, the binary packages are not identical due to having been built
independently. This causes unexpected effects in the package management
system.

"However, in general, this is not an issue, for one simple reason:
essentially all of the software in Debian is also available in Ubuntu
repositories, so there is no reason to mix the two."

--Tyler