How to clean up apt-get

Al Byers byersa at automationgroups.com
Fri Sep 16 10:56:53 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 09:36 -0600, Tyler Strickland wrote:
> On 09/16/2005 12:23 AM, Steve wrote:
> > I remember dependency hell.  It's a vague and distant, yet unpleasant
> > memory.
> > Thank heaven for Gentoo ;)
>
> Fortunately, since moving from RedHat 9 to Debian a few years ago,
> dependency hell has been a rare thing, and when it does happen it's
> generally easy to fix.  Back in the RedHat days, though...  The day my
> distaste for RPM's reached its peak was the day I had to download a
> package from CPAN to satisfy an RPM dependency.  I have had no desire to
> run an RPM-based distrobution since then.  Ich.  Just thinking about it
> gives me chills.
>
> --Tyler
Three years ago I stuck RedHat 9 on my laptop and never worried about
it. I really hoped that I could treat it as an appliance since all I
want to do is run eclipse and a j2ee server. It worked well, but then it
got corrupted and since I was using suse 9.3 somewhere else, I threw
that on. It did not recognize my built-in wireless and I could not get
it to fill the screen. I had a Ubuntu set laying around (they send 10 -
anyone want one?) and I installed it. It found my wireless and filled
the screen which I thought was a nice thing. Is that a strength of
Ubuntu or could I count on it from Debian or Gentoo? Looks like I might
have to learn more about Linux than I care to. Have things changed much
since Xenix? :0)

-Al