The perfect MP3 player

Grant Shipley gshipley at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 09:19:11 MDT 2005

On 9/16/05, Doran Barton <fozz at iodynamics.com> wrote:
> The iPod is nice... but overpriced,

Seems to be in line with over players. (20gb/40gb/60gb models)

> doesn't have Ogg Vorbis support,
This is true -- although, I am not sure if the linux OS you can
install supports it.

> isn't
> future compatible

Unless you call a company like Apple standing behind it who *should*
be around for many years supporting the millions of units sold.
Apple is constantly making the iPod better.

>(iRiver units can have future codec capability included in
> a firmware update you can apply yourself).

You do realize you can upgrade the firmware on your iPod?  I have
upgraded mine roughly 4 times with new firmware from apple.  They
often include new features in the firmware update (bookmarking for
instance).

>The iRiver also has built-in
> ability to record without any silly peripherals, and works great with Linux.

The iPod works great with linux as well.