How to clean up apt-get

Tyler Strickland tyler at tylers.org
Thu Sep 15 23:59:41 MDT 2005

On 09/15/2005 11:48 PM, Al Byers wrote:
> I tried using apt-get to install some packages and ran into dependency
> hell. I don't want to continue working with them. How do I get them to
> go away? I have tried "clean" and "remove" options, but nothing is
> in /var/cache/apt... anyway. Where do these packages come from? Why do
> they keep showing up and how can I get rid of them?
>
> byersa at ubuntu:/var/cache/apt/archives/partial$ sudo apt-get -f install
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Correcting dependencies... failed.
>   libssl-dev: Depends: libssl0.9.7 (= 0.9.7e-3ubuntu0.1) but 0.9.7g-2 is
> installed
>   libssl0.9.7: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-21) but 2.3.2.ds1-20ubuntu13
> is installed
>   ymessenger: Depends: libssl0.9.6 but it is not installable
> E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be
> caused by held packages.
> E: Unable to correct dependencies

The tool to use for low-level package management is dpkg.  For example:
'dpkg -r <packagename>' will remove a package.  The man page also
describes other options to force removal even with dependency issues.

As for the libssl issues, I use debian, not Ubuntu, and I'm not sure how
exactly they differ in repository management.  My guess would be one of:
	a) There's some sort of transition going on in the repository
	b) You're hooked up to multiple repositories hosting the same
		files with different versioning schemes

I'll let the Ubuntu guys on the list give you a better answer for that
question.

--Tyler