Quickest way to copy a hard disk?

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 18:18:19 MDT 2005

Michael Huston wrote:

>I have downloaded a number of bootable utility Linuxes. The problem is
>this, I have a drive that is flaking out on a Promise Fasttrack 100
>raid card. The drive has been unplugged and will remain so until I
>figure out what to do. I was assuming that using a linux copying
>utility would be the fastest method, but I know that many Linuxeses did
>not even support reading NTFS, let alone writing. I have found that
>with newer versions of Knoppix, I could read and write NTFS, but I
>don't know if that would be compatible with a promise raid card.
>
>To reitterate, all I need is to know the fastest way to move 40 gb of
>data from a Promise Fasttrack raid to the primary master drive.
>
>Thank you in advance,
>Mike
>/*
>PLUG: http://plug.org, #utah on irc.freenode.net
>Don't fear the penguin.
>*/

It's not so much they can't READ the filesystem as it is that the
filesystem cannot be easily understood.
This is essentially irrelevant to a bytecopy utility though, since it
only needs to look at the fact that there IS data in a particular
location, and copy that data, versus actually understanding what that
data is.
PartImage available from partimage.org is what I use to clone disks, and
I have yet to run up against a filesystem it has problems with.
Hope thats helpful!