The perfect MP3 player

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Thu Sep 15 11:36:32 MDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 10:39:40AM -0600, Andrew Hunter wrote:
> Hi.  I wonder if I'm asking too much sometimes. I am looking for an MP3
> player that might not exist.  I would like it to have about 20GB of storage,
> decent size and durability, and a nice interface.  Moreover, I would like it
> to show up as a mass storage device in Linux, MacOS.X and Windows.  Instead
> of having to use iTunes, WMP or some other proprietary program to load
> songs, I would like to be able to just drag my MP3 directories to it and
> play the tunes.  It should also be able to store other files, acting as an
> external hard drive.  OGG support would be great, but not essential.
> Ability to wash dishes, vacuum and a cost of less than $20 would be great.

The iPod does all that, except for Ogg. I use gtkpod to deal with my iPod,
so I don't use a proprietary program. You can mount the ipod as an
external hard drive and put files on it. And Rhythmbox can read songs off
the iPod as well.

Dishes and washes and <$20 cost are not there yet though :)

-Roberto