djbdns and second and third domains

Jason K Larson plug at candlefire.org
Thu Sep 15 11:27:20 MDT 2005

Alan Young wrote:
> I'm running djbdns and trying to get a second and third domain under control.
>
> My main domain works just fine.  If I ping domain1 I get instantaneous
> response.  If I ping domain2 or domain3 I get up to a 30 second delay
> on the same system and just a timeout from any other system.  Trying
> to access any service from the 2 domains times out.

Are you getting a response, can you ever see the name resolve to an ip?

> I'm fairly certain the data file is correct--mainly because the log
> file shows the request in the current log file.  But I can't find any
> kind of an error log.  All it gives me is something I'm assuming is a
> timestamp, a set of 3 hex numbers separated by a colon and a minus
> (all the ones for the main domain are plus) and the domain name.

The key to the log is the +/- for the query.  For instance consider the
following:

@400000004329ac4d1cfad89c a5155359:fd6c:ce38 + 000f heraldextra.com
@400000004329ac4d29f16f34 3f4c2202:aabe:20ad + 0001 www.heraldextra.com

This is the result of two lookups for different record types (000f and
0001) the + indicates it was found in the data file and a response was
sent.  The fact you are getting - leads me to think your data file is
not correct.  I could help you with either examples or you can post what
you have and I can see what needs to happen to make it happy.

The first @###... is the tai64 timestamp format and can be seen with:

# tai64nlocal
@400000004329ac4d1cfad89c      <pasted>
2005-09-15 11:15:25.486201500  <response>
<ctrl-c to exit>

> I'm looking for docs on the log format.  In the meantime, any pointers or ideas?

Knowing the log format is very worthwhile, have you also tried using the
djbdns query tools?  For instance:

# dnsq any domain2.com ns.domain1.com
or
# dnsqr any domain2.com

> I'm running on a linode, on gentoo if that makes any difference.

I'm running djbdns on several Gentoo boxes (hardened and normal).  I
love Gentoo.

--
Jason K Larson