Grinding noises from my Video Card?

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Thu Sep 15 08:53:43 MDT 2005

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 11:14 pm, Chris Carey wrote:
> On 9/14/05, Steve <smorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well it's finally giving out, my ATI Radeon 9200 video card I bought
> > several years ago, is starting to make grinding noises (the fan is going
> > out).
>
> Peel off the sticker on the center of the fan; put a drop of 3-in-1
> oil in there, and replace the sticker. That should add some more life
> to it.

I agree, this is excellent advice.  I do so for all my case and cpu fans and
get a great deal more life out of them.

Unfortunately, it only worked well for my radeon the first 4 times.  Then I
got tired of it drying out (it did so sooner and sooner), so I sent it in for
warranty RMA service (I had a 3 or 5yr warranty).  They returned it and said
they had 'fixed' it on the receipt.  But, the bastards did absolutely
nothing--didn't even put on a new fan (good grief, a 20cent part).  I know
because of the score marks I left on the fan from peeling off the sticker
with my pocket knife.  So, now I'm just gonna run it till it's completely
dead.  Sometimes it howls pretty good.

My next card will be Nvidia.  At least w/nvidia I can have all of the features
enabled.  On my radeon, (what, a 6year old card?) _still_ the dri driver
doesn't enable everything.  No hyper-z support, etc.  The ati binary releases
no longer supports it at all, and when it did was flaky at best, and also
didn't enable everything either (no video capture).  Nvidia provides fairly
frequent updates to their driver.  ATI released updates about once a year...

Maybe ATI will get better.  But imo, if they're own driver isn't going to
enable all of the features on their own card, and they won't release enough
docs so that the oss drivers can enable those features, I'm moving on...

--
Respectfully,

Nicholas Leippe
Sales Team Automation, LLC