Need help restoring X window system

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 15:05:13 MDT 2005

Brad Dorner wrote:

>The last time that happened to me I just renamed the .kde or .gnome, I
>don't remember which I was running at the time, and then restarted the
>computer. That did it. I don't know if yours is the same problem though.
>

>Brad

That may work, but I'm going off the assumption at this time that for
some reason, some critical x component such as .Xauthority is showing as
in use by root, or possibly he does not have the permissions to access
that component.
One way to check would be to launch XDM/GDM/KDM as root, and see if you
can login as normal and log out.
However I am recommending he send a full copy of his Xorg.0.log file and
his xorg.conf to me to off list smorrey at gmail.com to take a look at.
Something is very fishy here, and I would LOVE to be the one who figures
it out ;)

Eitherway, yast2 has an ncurses interface last time I checked, and he
could also try uninstalling and reinstalling xorg from there and seeing
if that fixes the whole issue.  As a last resort, he could also try
sticking his SuSE install disk in and rebooting, then doing a "Repair
existing SuSE install".