[OT] Torn about Tor

Erin Sharmahd tuxgirl at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 02:21:54 MDT 2005

> I completely understand where you are going with this, however one thing
> that people seem to forget is that government only exists by consent of
> those being governed.

I don't believe that this is true for all governments.  I don't think
that the government in N Korea is necessarily in place from the
"consent" of the governed in any remarkable fashion.  There's
certainly an argument to be made that government exists through A)
consent of the governed, B) fear, C) brainwashing/lack of information,
and D) brute force.

I don't think that any one government has all 4 of these points (in
fact, i'd argue that certain among them are mutually exclusive), but I
would argue that you can't argue that all governments rule by any one
of them.

Now, I'm not going to give any opinion regarding China, as I'm not
completely certain where I would put their government.  I will point
out that the N Korean government is in place through B, C and D.  N
Korea is not the only example I could give for this, but it's late,
and therefore I'm using the example that is most obvious to me.

Apologies for an extremely off-topic comment.  I just couldn't help
bringing up this point as the comment made bugs me...

~Erin