Torn about Tor

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Sep 13 22:48:07 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 19:07 -0700, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> Your ignorance of how things work in a totalitarian state is disturbing.
>
> Please start with "The Aquariums of Pyongyang."

I work frequently with students from the PRC.  They are, of course, the
cream of the crop, but generally speaking the Chinese have *very*
impressive knowledge and capabilities.  Whether they are inventing
something themselves or merely cloning western technology (for example
their space rockets which are russian design), they do a good job at it.
They are great imitators.  They take what we do and do it just as well
or better, and have 10 people for every one person here with those
skills.  My impression is that their government is *far* more
technologically savvy than we think.  The chinese are very shrewd
people.  Sometimes we get the impression that they are slow or less
intelligent somehow, and they are shrewd enough to not try to alter this
perception as it keeps them off the proverbial radar screen.  I know
some PRC students that know just enough english to suit their purpose on
a given day.  So anyway there is tremendous talent and it is being
channeled for good and bad by the forces of the free market, but also
the totalitarian regime.

For a truly worrisome story, google for "Titan Rain."