Torn about Tor

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 18:00:50 MDT 2005

Ross Werner wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
>
>> Yes.  The Chinese are very serious about what they do, and they have the
>> budget to enforce it.  Nor is there some magical property of Chinese
>> water that prevents clueful network admins from working there.
>

> I'd also like to point out that it's not even a matter of blocking
> people from using it--all you have to do is *detect* that people are
> using it, at which point you can happily throw them in prison or
> whatever. Simple detection is a lot harder to avoid.
>
>     ~ Ross
>
> /* PLUG: http://plug.org, #utah on irc.freenode.net

I have to agree detection is much easier than blocking in an instance
such as this.  And I'm not trying to proselytize Tor as an end all be
all solution.
Right now it works, and when a few people get thrown in jail for using
it, someone will craft some other system that will successfully avoid
detection.
It's human nature, we don't take too well to being in a cage without
having committed a real societal ill, whether the cage is real or
virtual, and limiting access to information, because your government
deems it seditous, only serves to make the information that much more
desirable.
Think about all those running Mac OSX86 on thier Dells, It's just the
forbidden fruit syndrome.

As to the previous posters comment about magical water.  There is also
nothing in the water that prevents non-clueful or even clueful but
permissive admins from working there either.  In fact I would hazard a
guess that since this IS China we are talking about, that alot of admins
may be VERY clueful and allow the running of these things as a way of
permitting thier oppressed users to access resources, they may otherwise
not have access to.
All the while being able to disavow knowledge of what user accessed the
system, nor where they went.