mailing list footer addition request

J. Rhett Hooper rhetth at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 17:02:07 MDT 2005

Hans Fugal wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 at 00:44 -0600, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
>>I don't really care about the Penguin but we really have to have a
>>newline between the body and the footer so they don't run together.
>
> There is. Sorry, I can't explain why sometimes it doesn't show up, any
> more than I can explain why sometimes the leading spaces are removed.

If you look at the raw message, you will see that the leading spaces are
still there.  The messages which have leading spaces removed were sent
with format=flowed in the Content-Type header.  MUAs that understand
format=flowed remove the leading spaces upon display in order to reverse
the space-stuffing which the sending MUA would have added had the footer
been in the original message.  See RFC 2646 sections 4.2 and 4.4 [1].

I don't know how easy it would be to get the list software to change the
footer based on the Content-Type header or the body of the message.  If
it is easy, it could space-stuff the footer if it was meant to be
format=flowed.  Of course, some people on the list may use a MUA that
doesn't do anything with format=flowed and would complain that there are
extra spaces.  Maybe the list software could also insert the signature
separator line of "-- " if one doesn't already exist in the message.

[1] http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2646.html

--
J. Rhett Hooper