Torn about Tor

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 16:35:53 MDT 2005

Jonathan Ellis wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:06:29 -0600, "Steve" <smorrey at gmail.com> said:
>

>>However the best reason for it's
>>use is to facilitate access to the global internet, in free-speech
>>challenged countries like china.  For instance the great firewall of
>>China, blocks access to my blog at blogspot which is about video game
>>development.  I found this out because people in China emailed me to
>>tell me the blog was down.  So I keep an Open Tor end node running at
>>all times, so that folks can use the internet without fear of thier
>>government.
>>

>You really think something obvious like "block Tor" wouldn't occur to
>Bad Governments?
>
>/skeptical
>
>-Jonathan
>
>/* PLUG: http://plug.org, #utah on irc.freenode.net

You really think that any "government" would be smart enough to figure
out how to block something like Tor?
/skeptical

Seriously though it does work in china, after advising my little
dissidents about Tor and Privoxy, I recieved emails thanking me.
If Tor were to get blocked they would have to block all traffic on those
ports.  The simplest solution then would be to route Tor over port 80
(if it isn;t already, honestly I can't remember of the top of my head
and I'm too lazy to look), then they would have to shut down access to
all but a few "approved" servers.  And they would have to do it on every
computer in the routing chain.  The genie is out of the bottle.