HOSTS file configuration

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 15:44:05 MDT 2005

Hans Fugal wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 at 03:01 -0600, Steve wrote:
>

>>Hello all.
>>Something seems to be amiss in my hosts file for a new name server and
>>website I'm working on, and I can't quite figure it out.
>>

>What are the symptoms?
>

>>I'm hoping maybe someone here can help.  Again this is one of those
>>times, I'm absolutely sure it's something simple and stupid.
>>
>>This file was created with webmin, and just doesn't seem right.
>>It is of course my /var/bind/biocoin.com.hosts file
>>
>>biocoin.com.    IN    SOA    ns1.biocoin.com. smorrey.gmail.com. (
>>           1126368330
>>           10800
>>           3600
>>           604800
>>           38400 )
>>biocoin.com.    IN    SOA    ns2.biocoin.com. smorrey.gmail.com. (
>>           1126368330
>>           10800
>>           3600
>>           604800
>>           38400 )
>>

>Hmm, two SOA records doesn't seem right.
>

>>biocoin.com.            IN    A    69.60.117.0
>>www.biocoin.com.    IN    CNAME    biocoin.com.
>>ns1.biocoin.com.    IN    A    69.60.117.0
>>ns2.biocoin.com.    IN    A    69.60.117.0
>>biocoin.com.            IN    NS    ns1.biocoin.com.
>>biocoin.com.         IN    NS    ns2.biocoin.com.
>>mail.biocoin.com.       IN      MX    1 biocoin.com.
>>

>This is a jumble and completely out of "traditional" order, but it looks
>ok nonetheless.

Hello, see thats the problem there are no "symptoms" it just doesn't work.
I've gone ahead and manually removed the second SOA.  I am cheap at the
moment and can't really afford the extra money for 2 ip addresses, so
I'm running 2 name servers and 1 webserver all off the same IP address.
This isn't meant to be a high volume site, it's only for testing of a
few things as I develop a new web app.  I've never encountered this
problem before, usually I can start and stop named manually then check
logs and look for an error.  I'm seeing bind in my logs, but it's saying
everything is okey dokey.  Cleary something is amiss, because I can ping
ns1.biocoin.com, I can do a dig on ns1.biocoin.com.  etc and so forth
and it all looks good.  But ns2.biocoin.com www.biocoin.com and just
plain ole' biocoin.com don't resolve to anything.

I can't seem to find anything about the "traditional" order for a hosts
file.  If someone could, post one that would be great.
Anyways thanks for the help.