Torn about Tor

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Tue Sep 13 13:12:37 MDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 12:24:23PM -0600, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> 2) The following text from the tor site makes it look like tor is
> still not ready for prime time.  How strong to you think less then
> "strong anonymity" is?

Tor is certainly better than nothing, but I would not bet my life on
the protection afforded by Tor (traffic analysis could compromise your
anonymity under Tor pretty easily). It should work fine for the
application you describe (avoiding minor embarrassment).

Just be careful about inadvertently running as an end-node, or
requests for child porn may start coming from your net connection.

Mike
                         Michael A. Halcrow

Every rule has an exception, except the rule of exceptions.