Satellite Internet Recommendations?

Joel Finlinson joel.finlinson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 12:32:09 MDT 2005

> On Sep 9, 2005, at 4:12 PM, Charles Curley wrote:
>

> > I'm looking for a satellite ISP for some friends of mine. They are
> > writers who live so far out in the wilderness that they have neither
> > mobile phone service nor fixed phone service.
> >
> > Bandwidth is not a major reqirement, as they will use it for
> > occasional surfing and email.
> >

> When I did satellite internet, I had to borrow a neighbor's phone
> line to get it set up.  It had pretty good bandwidth, but the latency
> was atrocious.  Good latency is the key requirement for pleasant
> surfing, so it was pretty darn unpleasant.  It would be better than
> nothing, though.  Anyway, they may have trouble getting satellite
> internet connected without any sort of phone.
>
>          --Levi

     DirecPC (which is now DirecWay  http://www.hns.getdway.com/ ) can
work well for this type of situation.  I've had a couple of remote
sites using DirecPC for three of years.  The original setup price was
around $600 with a $70/month residual.   Download speed was very good
(800kb-1.2Mb) and upload was between 250-350kb.  We had to change when
DirecPC upgraded the firmware in their modems and we could no longer
run our Citrix VPN client across the link.  We went to LymanBros out
of Salt Lake ( http://www.lbisat.com/ ).  They are very solid and very
responsive but they are also pricey.  $5000 install and $100/month for
128k up and down.  They can do VPNs.

   JOEL