HOSTS file configuration

Corey Edwards tensai at
Tue Sep 13 08:57:48 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 03:01 -0600, Steve wrote:
>    IN    SOA (
>             1126368330
>             10800
>             3600
>             604800
>             38400 )

I would recommend you lower your default TTL from 38400. This number is
used for negative caching, ie. how long a negative response should be
held in cache. I prefer a number in the 30 minute range. I had an
instance where a completely clueless DNS admin set this to 2 days (!!)
and then removed our MX record. We were not amused. In general though, a
lower value will make sure new records show up quickly and cleanly.