Locked out of Webmin?

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 02:54:23 MDT 2005

Hello everyone.
Just recently leased a server for a project I'm working on and somehow
managed to lock myself completely out of webmin.
Server is running Gentoo & Webmin which is of course managing Apache
among other things.
Contacted the folks I'm leasing it from, they said to modify the
/etc/webmin/miniserv.conf file to use /etc/passwd to sync my webmin
password with with my SSH (BTW I can login to the server via SSH just fine).
Anyways I did it (or at least I think I did), then stopped webmin and
restarted it, however it's still not working.
Here is a copy of my miniserv.conf I get the gut feeling I'm missing
something really obvious here, if anyone has some experience on the
issue I would appreciate the input.

port=10000
root=/usr/libexec/webmin
mimetypes=/usr/libexec/webmin/mime.types
addtype_cgi=internal/cgi
realm=Webmin Server
logfile=//var/log/webmin/miniserv.log
errorlog=//var/log/webmin/miniserv.error
pidfile=/var/run/webmin.pid
logtime=168
ppath=
ssl=1
env_WEBMIN_CONFIG=//etc/webmin
env_WEBMIN_VAR=//var/log/webmin
atboot=0
logout=//etc/webmin/logout-flag
listen=10000
denyfile=\.pl$
log=1
blockhost_failures=5
blockhost_time=60
syslog=1
session=1
userfile=//etc/webmin/miniserv.users
keyfile=//etc/webmin/miniserv.pem
passwd_file=//etc/passwd
passwd_uindex=0
passwd_pindex=1
passwd_cindex=2
passwd_mindex=4
passwd_mode=0
preroot=mscstyle3
passdelay=1

The folks renting me the server say they'll fix the issue for $30.00 but
I'm just not that desperate yet especially when I know it's got to be
something simple and stupid.

Ok well thanks for taking the time to read this.