mailing list footer addition request

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sun Sep 11 17:01:46 MDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 16:42 -0600, Jeremy George wrote:
> I believe gmail is actually checking the email against others in the thread
> and hiding the portions that are being repeated (like the plug footer which
> is repeated at the bottom of each reply in the thread.)
>
> As for mono spaced fonts, I find them more difficult to read. I really don't
> see why they should be the norm, except for possibly some odd reverence to
> computer tradition.

Seems as though the reason we still prefer mono-spaced fonts is that on
our modern, crappy, low-resolution displays (anything under 300 dpi in
other words), monospaced just is easier to read and easier on the eyes.
To this day nothing can beat the old monochrome MDA display for crisp,
readable characters.  I still use that original IBM font (in pcf format)
for my terminals since it is so dang comfortable on the eyes.  There
once was a truetype version of this font (one point size only)---does
anyone know where I might find it?

I'm okay with proportional fonts so long as black remains the
recommended e-mail color.  I receive at least 5 e-mails a day from
various co-workers on BYU campus in 6-point blue or green arial font
with a really unprofessional-looking signature that is FirstnameLastname
using black and blue fonts.  I'm also opposed to comic sans and any
other "fun" font that HTML e-mail allows.  In fact, I don't even like
Arial, but I can tolerate it.  Times New Roman would be more readable.
Anyway, Thunderbird has a nifty feature to convert the mail display, no
matter if it was html or not, to plain text.  Does a wonderful job of
cleaning up the html messages.

Also there's no such thing as a valid html-only message.  All html
messages should contain a plain-text version as well as the html.
Anything that doesn't is spam.  I just wish the clients would do a
better job of letting you choose which one you see, as thunderbird lets
you.

I'm in favor of either the one-liner plug footer or the C comment block.
Either way.

Michael