[OT] Re: mailing list footer addition request

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Sun Sep 11 14:43:30 MDT 2005

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, Andy Bradford wrote:
> Thus said Jake Pollmann on Sun, 11 Sep 2005 12:59:28 MDT:
>
>> I'll leave it to the other master debaters on the PLUG list to explain
>> why that isn't a logical conclusion.
>
> 1: Subject is ``mailing list footer addition request''
> 2: PLUG list footer is ``ASCII Art'' (I never thought so really, but I use an email client that doesn't render it incorrectly).
> 3: Pollmann suggests ASCII art should be a thing of the past.

*ahem* Please observe the following syllogisms:

1a. The old plug list footer is ASCII art.
1b. Pollman suggests ASCII art should be a thing of the past.
1c. Therefore, Pollman believes that the old plug list footer should be a
thing of the past.

2a. Pollman believes that the old plug list footer should be a thing of
the past.
2b. The only possible choices for footers are: no footer, ASCII art
footer, or a graphical image.
2c. Therefore, Pollman believes either that the plug list should have
either no footer or a graphical image footer.

I humbly submit that the erroneous premise is 2b, and offer proof in the
form of the list's current footer, which is not "no footer", not ASCII
art, and not a graphical image.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

   ~ Ross

p.s. I do happen to agree with you, Andy, that the only sensible way to
display text-only email is, in fact, with a monospace font. Ditto for
code. However, as you've noted, as also use PINE for my email and have for
over a decade, and as a result I have learned from sad experience that the
preferences of others, unfortunately enough, occasionally differ from my
own preferences. Therefore (despite that fact that I both disagree with
Pollman's belief that ASCII art in sigs should be a thing of the past, and
with your rather abominable logical leap from his statement to the
aforementioned conclusion 2c), I greatly prefer the new footer, yea, even
the second version of the new footer, since it accomplishes its purpose
even better than the old footer in this mailing list of varying tastes and
preferences.