Satellite Internet Recommendations?

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Fri Sep 9 21:47:58 MDT 2005

On Sep 9, 2005, at 4:12 PM, Charles Curley wrote:

> I'm looking for a satellite ISP for some friends of mine. They are
> writers who live so far out in the wilderness that they have neither
> mobile phone service nor fixed phone service.
>
> Bandwidth is not a major reqirement, as they will use it for
> occasional surfing and email.

When I did satellite internet, I had to borrow a neighbor's phone
line to get it set up.  It had pretty good bandwidth, but the latency
was atrocious.  Good latency is the key requirement for pleasant
surfing, so it was pretty darn unpleasant.  It would be better than
nothing, though.  Anyway, they may have trouble getting satellite
internet connected without any sort of phone.

         --Levi