Fwd: UUG Installfest Announcement

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Fri Sep 9 19:00:06 MDT 2005

On Fri,  9 Sep 2005 at 13:20 -0500, Michael Halcrow wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 10:49:43PM -0600, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > Gentoo is also for people like me who want all the latest stuff to
> > work well together.  In my experience, most of the problems with
> > binary packages are due to subtle library incompatibilities.  Gentoo
> > seems to eliminate that whole class of bugs.  Thus Gentoo actually
> > saves me the time I used to spend chasing down library mismatches.
>
> I've been running Debian for years (including testing branches), and I
> don't recall the last time I had a library mismatch. If you want a

Same here, except for ones I brought upon myself (knowing the risks up
front), which you really have to try to acheive.

> good mix of binary packages that are fairly well tested together, that
> are fairly recent, and that get fairly up-to-date security fixes, give
> Ubuntu a whirl.

I have, on the other hand, had no end of trouble with Ubuntu library
versions. Ubuntu works well enough with itself, but it can be a real
pain when it comes to debs from other sources and even source tarballs
and binaries.

Ubuntu is great, especially for newbies. But you have to bite the bullet
and be willing to be up to 6 months out of date on ALL packages (not
just most) or else be willing to go through the gauntlet. On the other
hand, I happily run Debian testing (or stable soon after a release, as
now), and pull in a few packages from unstable when I just have to have
the newest version. This is doable in Debian, but a recipe for failure
in Ubuntu.

On a related note, I think it was a really stupid idea to make the
"universe" a point-in-time snapshot of unstable. A point in time
snapshot of testing would make much more sense. A point in time snapshot
of testing once a month would make even more sense, and mitigate the
previous paragraph.

--
 Hans Fugal                 | If more of us valued food and cheer and
 http://hans.fugal.net/     | song above hoarded gold, it would be a