Fwd: UUG Installfest Announcement

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Fri Sep 9 12:20:20 MDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 10:49:43PM -0600, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Gentoo is also for people like me who want all the latest stuff to
> work well together.  In my experience, most of the problems with
> binary packages are due to subtle library incompatibilities.  Gentoo
> seems to eliminate that whole class of bugs.  Thus Gentoo actually
> saves me the time I used to spend chasing down library mismatches.

I've been running Debian for years (including testing branches), and I
don't recall the last time I had a library mismatch. If you want a
good mix of binary packages that are fairly well tested together, that
are fairly recent, and that get fairly up-to-date security fixes, give
Ubuntu a whirl.

And don't get stupid with your package management. Do esoteric hacks
only if you know how to use the package manager right, and you won't
ever see a mismatched shared library.

Mike
                         Michael A. Halcrow

Why is it that when everyone freaks out, I'm always the one who gets
the phone call?