Skilled Java Developer Needed

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Sep 9 09:53:24 MDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 09:53:23AM -0600, Sasha Pachev wrote:
> >If you can really find someone who truly provides twice the results of
> >a $75k developer (good luck), then it's even better. The HR overhead
> >of an employee is an important factor to consider. A $75k-salaried
> >employee may be costing the company $150k/yr in total, so two
> >$75k-salaried would cost the company $300k/yr. A single $150k-salaried
> >employee would cost the company $225k/yr.
>
> In order to fully take advantage of a $150 K guy, you need to let him work
> in an environment where his skills are used properly. It is unlikely that
> he would be able to produce twice as much code in the same amount of time.
> However, he can come up with a way that solves a particular problem using
> 1/10th of the code volume that you would have had to write without him. He
> can also write the kind of code that gives you the same performance on
> 1/10th of the cost of hardware/software. He can also write the kind of code
> that requires only 10% of your support resources to deal with. But you must
> give him a chance to do that. If you make him write large volumes of
> trivial code, he will be bored and actually be producing less than his less
> expensive peers.

Yep. Lines of code per hour or per person is a worse than useless
metric!

> I would like to take advantage of the opportunity to offer a suggestion to
> all the business decision makers that are reading this. Treat
> hardware/software/business supplies/office space/etc as a commodity. Do not
> treat people as a commodity. Extra $10K per year spent on a salary is worth
> much more in many ways that extra $10K spent on hardware or software
> licenses.

Amen, bro!

However, it is often not an esaily identified savings, so the bean
counters cannot measure it. And when you can measure it, it may annoy
certain types of management.

I remember when I worked at Hughs Air Crash, I had time on my hands,
and I wandered about and talked to other engineers about what they
were doing (not the sort of thing the Security State encouraged even
then). In talking to one engineer, I made several suggestions that
ended up saving ~$1 million in hardware costs alone. Management were
not amused.