SuSE Users?

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Fri Sep 9 09:43:38 MDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 09:00:59AM -0600, Eric Jensen wrote:
> Barry Roberts wrote:
>
> >Before I try to figure out YAST and YOU again, does anybody know how
> >it compares to apt, apt4rpm or yum?
> >

> YAST and YOU work quite well. I'll always be a fan of apt because of
> it's speed, but YAST works just as well as apt with Synaptics.

Oh good.  That's what was always lacking in previous non-commercail
(ftp) versions of SuSE.  They just nuver worked for me.  It worked ok
for paid versions, but all of those I had were behind a very
restrictive firewall, so I could play with it, but not use it on any
of the officially licensed servers.

> >Can anybody compare openSUSE with, say Fedora Core or Ubuntu for
> >novice computer users?
> >
> I've used Ubuntu and Fedora a lot and I like Suse more, not tremendously
> more but I would pick it over those for a workstation any day.  My
> not-so-savy folks tried moving to Linux with Fedora, Mandrake, Ubuntu,
> and Suse.  They had a very hard time until they tried Fedora and Suse.
> They like Suse better, but Fedora is a fairly close 2nd.

Perfect.  A lot of people around here know who Novell is, so I would
love to be able to give them something that is at least associated
with Novell, even if it's not a fully supported product..

Now if people would just start BitTorrent'ing RC1.  Mine's been
running for 24 hours now, and it still says it has 52 hours left.

Thanks,
Barry