[Fwd: support engineer wanted]

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 15:32:41 MDT 2005

I don't mean to belittle this job post as I know those who are
unemployed or underemployed are very grateful for this type of thing,
but can someone please tell me at what point Entry Level, became
synonymous with x number years of experience in a rather specialized field?
I see this all the time "Wanted Entry Level Programmer, must have 2-4
years experience in x platform".
It makes me nuts, when I started out, Entry Level meant you know how
basic programming methodologies work, regardless of language.

The purpose of entry level is to teach you to become proficient in a
particular platform, and to gain skills as a programmer, thats why the
pay usually sucks so badly for entry level work.  It's a trade off, you
teach me how to program for your particular platform, that I have very
little to no experience in and I'll accept a lower salary etc.
After 2 years if you are not extremely proficient in a platform, you
need to get out and go find something new.

What makes me the craziest though is the trend lately which has been to
call a job entry level, and yeah the duties may even be considered entry
level by the company, but the skill requirements requested are those of
a mid level to senior programmer.

This to me is an indication of a company that doesn't value or worse
doesn't understand what a good IT proffesional really has to bring to
the table.
I would  honestly be afraid that in 2 years they would still classify
your work as entry level, assuming of course they are still around in 2
years.

Shouldn't these ads really read "Wanted Senior Level programmers, to
work Entry Level job with equivalent salary and benefits?"
The wierd thing is and maybe this is just my skewed view of things, but
if this were a trend in employment in general and not just the tech
sector, why do you never seen an ad like this?
"Wanted Middle Manager making $50k per year to work as entry level
telemarketer, commision based, potential of $10 per hour!"

My point is, if you truly want an "Entry Level" employee, then advertise
it as such.
Something like...

"Wanted CS grads or equivalent, looking for first job, must know
essential programming methodologies and be familiar with best
practices.  Must have good working knowledge of basic programming
techniques, must have 2.5 GPA or higher, or good refferences from
community if self taught."

Hell I'ld work an entry level programming job with a company that could
advertise honestly like that.

Ok enough of my ranting.
Any thoughts?