Great Filesystem Shoot-out

dilip vaze diplips2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 8 06:36:10 MDT 2005

Pleas arrange to discard my name from your mailing list ..

-dilip vaze

plug.org at 2nerds.com wrote:
On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Grant Robinson wrote:
> Ok, here is something fun to demonstrate file system performance.

On my Linux machine, this is little more than a CPU/memory test. The test
runs almost entirely out of cache and barely touches the disk.

Interestingly, on ext2, the test grows the containing directory to 122880
bytes. On Reiser, the containing directory reduces back to 88 bytes after
the test is complete.

Machine 1:
OS: Linux 2.4.27-2-686-smp
CPUs: Dual Opteron 246 (2.0 GHz)
Disk: irrelevant--the test runs in cache
ext2: 4.280051 (first run)
ext2: 3.469433 (runs 2+ after directory is expanded)
Reiser: 2.433232 (fs is mounted with "noatime" option; I don't know
if thatt makes any difference)

Machine 2:
Mac OS X 10.4.2
HFS+ w/Journaling (I think)
Mac mini 1.42GHz, no idea on disk interface specs
29.601413

Chris
| This has been a P.L.U.G. mailing. |
| Don't Fear the Penguin. |