Jittery MythTV

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Wed Sep 7 17:10:37 MDT 2005

For the jitteriness, my guess would be that the proper kernel tuning
would take care of it.

2.4 is currently the recommended kernel for good latency, with the
following patches:
  - preempt
  - lowlatency
  - givecap

2.6 vanilla (with the proper preempt configuration options, etc.) is
much better than vanilla 2.4, but not yet quite as good as 2.4 with the
above patches. However, when it gets there (should be any version now)
it will be there without any special patching, which will be nice.

In your case, you probably have moderate latency needs and a recent 2.6
kernel or the patched 2.4 kernel will probably help.

Or maybe that's not it at all... maybe you have an IRQ conflict or DMA
isn't turned on on your HDD, or something...

--
 Hans Fugal                 | If more of us valued food and cheer and
 http://hans.fugal.net/     | song above hoarded gold, it would be a