Email domain black listed?

Andy Bradford amb-plug at bradfords.org
Mon Sep 5 16:44:15 MDT 2005

Thus said Kenneth Burgener on Mon, 05 Sep 2005 08:57:56 MDT:

> So I thought I was being a good net citizen by routing all my outbound
> email through my ISPs SMTP server (smtp.comcast.net).

Comcast is notorious for having spammers on their network. I just had an
idea that could profit from Comcast users; it likely already exists as a
service, but... What about an SMTP relay service for folks like you that
have problems sending email because of your ISP?

Indeed, there are many companies/products that block emails based on the
Dynamic IP address ranges. Most don't  block, however, unless your IP is
the sending  IP. Using your ISP's  relay should keep you  safe, however,
there are some places that block even the second level.

> What is one to do to get his emails out.

Get a real ISP. :-)

> For  example  the  below  email   just  bounced  back  to  me,  saying
> 63.240.76.22  is  listed  in  the  black hole.  My  address  today  is
> 67.186.222.247, so  it wasn't me. SMTP.comcast.net  is 63.240.76.27 so
> it  wasn't the  SMTP exactly.  So some  other mail  router at  Comcast
> touched my email and now it is a bad email?

Yep, as simple as that:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=63.240.76.22

Andy
--
GnuPG ID 0xA63888C9 (D2DA 68C9 BB2B 26B4 8204  2219 A43E F450 A638 88C9)
  4:44pm  up 77 days,  1:22,  2 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00