Email domain black listed?

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Mon Sep 5 10:30:15 MDT 2005

On Mon,  5 Sep 2005 at 08:57 -0600, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> So I thought I was being a good net citizen by routing all my outbound
> email through my ISPs SMTP server (smtp.comcast.net).
>
> But every so often I get bounce back emails saying my email was rejected
> because either my initial IP (which is dynamic), or the SMTP server, or
> some other IP address is black listed.  What is one to do to get his
> emails out.
>
> For example the below email just bounced back to me, saying 63.240.76.22
> is listed in the black hole.  My address today is 67.186.222.247, so it
> wasn't me.  SMTP.comcast.net is 63.240.76.27 so it wasn't the SMTP
> exactly.  So some other mail router at Comcast touched my email and now
> it is a bad email?
>
> Any suggestions?

Yeah, I have two useless suggestions: take it up with your ISP and
switch ISPs if necessary, and take it up with people that use stupid
RBLs (and don't send them email. ha!)

Chances are about 50/50 that your ISP deserves to be on an RBL or that
the RBL is just plain overzealous. The chances rise significantly in
favor of RBL overzealousness if the intended recipient is dumb enough to
use some of the more crazy RBLs.