Suggestion for a good monochrome laserjet?

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at uvlug.org
Mon Sep 5 08:30:39 MDT 2005

Michael Torrie wrote:
> You can buy a Samsung ML1710 laser printer for about $100 these days.
> The image drum/tonor cartidges are about a $100 also, though, but toner,
> unlike inkjets, can be refilled until the image drum wears out.

I like the $100 price.  But if the replacement image drum/toner
cartridge also costs $100, why not just buy a new printer every time it
runs out?

> If you want jetdirect capability on an hp laser printer, expect to pay
> another $200.  The HPs and the Samsung all handle standard PCL, and
> maybe PS, so getting them to work with CUPS is very easy.

I have seen these little print server devices that you can get that will
hook up to most printers that will make then JetDirect capable.  That
way I don't have to have the capability in the printer, and with each
time I switch out my printers I still have the capability.  They are
about 5 inches by 5 inches by 2 inches.  Really tiny.  Any idea where I
could pick up one of those?  If not I just use my linux file sever as
the print server.

Kenneth