Different kind of InstallFest

Tyler Strickland tyler at tylers.org
Mon Sep 5 08:24:17 MDT 2005

On 09/04/2005 09:41 PM, Barry Roberts wrote:
> I also plan to send everybody home with something like the OpenCD.
>
> I was thinking of using Knoppix, and OpenCD, but I'm open to
> suggestions and what applications would really impress Windows users.

I made a CD to hand out a while back and this is what I put on it:

audacity
blender
gimp
filezilla (http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/)
firefox
thunderbird
gaim
openoffice.org
screensavers from reallyslick.com (yes, they are _really_ slick)
7zip (http://www.7-zip.org/faq.html)
spybot (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html)
mcafee stinger (http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/)

Other tips:

1.  How far are you planning to go in the reinstall?  I've seen times of
several hours work to move one person to a new computer, and though
doing several at once may take a while.  Are you going to restore their
users?  Their software?  What versions of windows will you reinstall?
You may want to write up a page that says exactly what you plan to do
and have them agree to it (and maybe even sign it) before doing
anything.  Include a disclaimer of future support as well.

2.  Download common drivers beforehand - NVidia drivers, ATI drivers,
RealTek 8139, etc.  Get to know driverguide.com - it's an ugly site but
sometimes it can't be avoided.  I've spent too many hours searching for
strange drivers - the worst are those for on-board interfaces.  You may
want to get a couple of people whose entire job during the reinstall
fest is to search for drivers.  Also, before wiping their system, check
for drivers stored on the hard drive - it may save some time.

3.  How many people do you plan on accommodating?  I would plan on one
helper per 2-3 people.  Make sure you have enough power plugs and
monitor space for everyone - blowing a breaker during an install isn't
fun :(.  Plan for it as you would a lan party.

4.  A USB HD could work well for backing up data; you may also want to
consider burning it onto a CD/DVD for them to take home.

5.  If you have access to a compressor, you may want to set up a station
outside to blow dust out of their computers.  An overheating computer is
a cranky computer.

6.  Keep a phone ready to call MS and beg them to let you reinstall
windows.  Make sure it has a speakerphone.

HTH,
--Tyler