Suggestion for a good monochrome laserjet?

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sun Sep 4 16:27:42 MDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-04 at 11:43 -0600, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> I am looking to buy a simple monochrome laserjet printer for home.  Does
> any one have a good suggestion for a reliable laserjet printer for under
> $200?  Where is the best place to buy them and also where is the best
> place to get replacement cartridges?

You can buy a Samsung ML1710 laser printer for about $100 these days.
The image drum/tonor cartidges are about a $100 also, though, but toner,
unlike inkjets, can be refilled until the image drum wears out.

I have an older Okidata 10ex LED printer and I'm only on my second toner
cartridge and first image drum.  So far I've had it for 5 years or more.

> This printer will be primarily to print school papers for my wife.

The samsung may fit your bill.

> I have been looking at the HP LaserJet printers 1012 and 1020, which are
> about $117 and $179 respectively.  Anyone had any experience with these?

Be aware that new toner cartidges contain the photodrum and run probably
$125 a pop, but last for 5000 pages or so.  Out of the box, the toner
cartridge is probably only 1/3 filled, so plan on a new one within the
first year of your printer's use.

> I know my father in law has the 1012 and he has had no problems with it,
> and I was also able to get it to work with IPP printing with our Debian
> file server.

If you want jetdirect capability on an hp laser printer, expect to pay
another $200.  The HPs and the Samsung all handle standard PCL, and
maybe PS, so getting them to work with CUPS is very easy.

Michael