Suggestion for a good monochrome laserjet?

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Sun Sep 4 11:56:21 MDT 2005

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 11:43:16AM -0600, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> I have been looking at the HP LaserJet printers 1012 and 1020, which
> are about $117 and $179 respectively.  Anyone had any experience
> with these?

I have had an HP LaserJet 1200 for a few years now. I just changed the
toner at the beginning of summer. And I started getting a ghosting
effect a couple of weeks ago (it's either the fuser or the toner
cartridge). The diagnosis/repair bill is not likely to offset the
value of just replacing the printer at this point. It was good while
it lasted.

On that note, I have had an annoying issue when my wife prints from
Firefox on Ubuntu box through my Knoppix workstation. The printer
spits out an error page w/ the text, ``The Postscript interpreter in
your printer is 2014.116. This printout requires at least version 2015
or greater.'' It then gives instructions on piping all print jobs
through GhostScript in your printer command settings. I tried that
without any luck (the print jobs go into la-la land). The workaround
for now is to print to a Postscript and to run ps2ps on the file, but
that results in less than ideal results (i.e., artifacts near the top
and bottom of fonts). It looks like the Postscript generator for
Firefox is version 2015. There might be a filter I can add to CUPS
that will detect Postscript versions and convert them on the fly, but
with the ghosting problem and all, I am just inclined to get a new
Epson Stylus at this point.

Mike
Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom.