Calling all debian guru's (custom net-install CD's and custom repo's)

Michael Halcrow mike at
Sun Sep 4 09:34:05 MDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 11:27:41PM -0600, Brendan Curran wrote:
> The ibm machines have network controllers that aren't supported by
> default in the kernel - and so they won't work with the typical
> net-install CD's. We are interested in creating a custom net-install
> CD that loads a cusom-configured kernel to run the install

Of course, you will want to compile and copy in your own network
driver module to the image. Here is another guide you might find

> and also in setting up a custom debian repository that we can use to
> automatically keep all of our systems in sync software wise

It's mainly just a certain directory structure on an ftp or http
server, with some meta-files.

You can put that in the sources.list of the modified installer (see
previous links).

"Religious concepts are parasitic upon moral intuitions."
 - Pascal Boyer