Calling all debian guru's (custom net-install CD's and custom repo's)

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Sun Sep 4 09:34:05 MDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 11:27:41PM -0600, Brendan Curran wrote:
> The ibm machines have network controllers that aren't supported by
> default in the kernel - and so they won't work with the typical
> net-install CD's. We are interested in creating a custom net-install
> CD that loads a cusom-configured kernel to run the install

http://wiki.debian.net/?DebianInstallerModify

Of course, you will want to compile and copy in your own network
driver module to the image. Here is another guide you might find
useful:

http://wiki.debian.net/?DebianCustomCD

> and also in setting up a custom debian repository that we can use to
> automatically keep all of our systems in sync software wise

It's mainly just a certain directory structure on an ftp or http
server, with some meta-files.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/repository-howto/repository-howto.en.html

You can put that in the sources.list of the modified installer (see
previous links).

Mike
"Religious concepts are parasitic upon moral intuitions."
 - Pascal Boyer