[OT] Are we a democracy or a republic?

Andy Bradford amb-plug at bradfords.org
Sat Sep 3 22:03:26 MDT 2005

Thus said Ross Werner on Sat, 03 Sep 2005 10:05:14 MDT:

> I personally don't think "true" anarchy  is really possible on a large
> scale. The  moment you  have anarchy, people  will instantly  begin to
> form  deals, alliances,  police forces,  and pretty  soon you  have at
> least minimal government in everything but name.

There would be  a difference. First, the associations  would be mutually
beneficial  and based  on profit/loss.  It wouldn't  even have  the same
structure as government because we  wouldn't be governed at all, instead
we would  contract for  things which we  need, and if  we find  that one
service  doesn't suit  our needs  we would  could easily  vote with  our
wallets as  consumers often do.

Even our own  form of government was meant to  be extremely limited. The
Constitution was written to bind government officials, not the people of
the  United  States. The  Bill  of  Rights  is  our shield  against  bad
governmental policies (or at least it should be).

Andy
--
GnuPG ID 0xA63888C9 (D2DA 68C9 BB2B 26B4 8204  2219 A43E F450 A638 88C9)
 10:03pm  up 75 days,  6:41,  2 users,  load average: 1.01, 1.06, 1.07