OT - Gas to hit 4.00

C. Ed Felt edfelt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 10:21:23 MDT 2005

Jonathan Ellis wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:21:56 -0600, "Richard Esplin" <richjunk1 at byu.net>
>said:
>

>>I would rather have us choose higher gas prices through taxation, then
>>have it
>>forced on us by insatiable demand (because of our cultural lifestyle)
>>during
>>a time of limited supply.
>>

>I saw an interesting suggestion some time ago by some editorialist
>(possibly Friedman, not sure).  He proposed the federal government
>impose a sliding gas tax, such that normal price + tax = fixed number,
>with the funds going towards investing in other energy sources.
>
>I'm skeptical that the government should be making the decision of where
>to invest money given their horrible track record in that area, but at
>least it was more creative than most government-oriented solutions. :)
>
>-Jonathan
>.-----------------------------------.
>| This has been a P.L.U.G. mailing. |
>|      Don't Fear the Penguin.      |
>|  IRC: #utah at irc.freenode.net   |
>`-----------------------------------'

"Hydrogen also can be used in *modified internal-combustion engines*
with essentially pollution-free emissions. It can be produced in two
basic ways: first, by steam reformation of natural gas or other
hydrocarbon fuels, including coal and biomass fuels from agricultural
feedstocks or waste materials; and second, by electrolysis, using
electricity supplied by a wide variety of sources, including renewable
fuel sources. While electrolysis is ideal, it's not economically
competitive at this time."
Reference:
http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national/?srv=parser&act=display&tf=/features/truthabout/gas/alternative1.tmpl
<http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national/?srv=parser&act=display&tf=/features/truthabout/gas/alternative1.tmpl>

Put up some solar panels on your roof:
http://www.ata.org.au/basics/bassolar.htm

Get a wind generator if you really want to be sure you have enough power:
http://www.oksolar.com/n_cart/search.asp?cat=Wind%20Generators

Get a hydrogen generator:
http://www.domnickhunter.com/product_desc.asp?product=221&group=19&industry=0&pageNo=1
<http://www.domnickhunter.com/product_desc.asp?product=221&group=19&industry=0&pageNo=1>

Convert your car to Hydrogen:
http://www.clean-air.org/conversion_kit_response.htm

*NEVER BUY GAS AGAIN.

*The technology is all ready here, many are too lazy or too caught up in
day to day life to do anything about it.
*
*There are a few caveats, like the fact that our industry doesn't
currently care to move our entire infrastructure towards better energy
models such as this one.

I actually have a friend starting a business doing just what I have
listed above.  This means no paying for power from the electric company
and never paying for gas.  He says he can do it all for around $15,000
to $30,000.  I wonder how the payments on a loan of that size and cost
of maintenance of such a system compare to the average persons monthly
gas and power bills?  I hope the next time I build a house, I can wrap
something like this in to the loan.  Even if the price is a wash, it
sure would be nice to have complete control over my own power needs.

It will be interesting to see how many people and industries start
switching to these alternatives as gas prices and pollution controls rise,

Like one of my old network theory professors once said about network
protocols: "most people don't upgrade until they have to".  Case in
point: how long has IP V6 been around now?

-Ed Felt