[OT] Are we a democracy or a republic?

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Sat Sep 3 10:05:14 MDT 2005

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, Andy Bradford wrote:
> Thus said Erin Sharmahd on Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:06:16 MDT:
>> I have heard the  claim (and thought a lot about  it) that there isn't
>> really  much of  a  difference between  an  oppressive government  and
>> anarchy...
>
> I too have  read articles that would  suggest the same. I  can't seem to
> find the articles now,  but if I find them I will  provide them to those
> interested.

That seems pretty unlikely to me. Take Iraq for a case in point--highly
oppressive government, but was nothing compared to the anarchy that came
between the time when the government fell and a new government was put
into place.

I personally don't think "true" anarchy is really possible on a large
scale. The moment you have anarchy, people will instantly begin to form
deals, alliances, police forces, and pretty soon you have at least minimal
government in everything but name.

   ~ Ross