[OT] Are we a democracy or a republic?

Andy Bradford amb-plug at bradfords.org
Sat Sep 3 09:50:57 MDT 2005

Thus said Erin Sharmahd on Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:06:16 MDT:

> I did  Lincoln-Douglas debate for  2 years in  high school, and  for 2
> months, topic  that we  discussed was:  "Resolved: that  an oppressive
> government is more desirable than no government."

Amazing how easily people can argue away their freedoms; yet here we are
today with fewer freedoms than we had 100 years ago.

I also read  that Lincoln was a racist, which  seems plausible given the
time. The first paragraph of the following debate was most enlightening:

http://www.nps.gov/liho/debate4.htm

Or maybe I'm misinterpreting... As one who is familiar with the debates,
care to expound?

> I have heard the  claim (and thought a lot about  it) that there isn't
> really  much of  a  difference between  an  oppressive government  and
> anarchy...

I too have  read articles that would  suggest the same. I  can't seem to
find the articles now,  but if I find them I will  provide them to those
interested.

Andy
--
GnuPG ID 0xA63888C9 (D2DA 68C9 BB2B 26B4 8204  2219 A43E F450 A638 88C9)
  9:50am  up 74 days, 18:28,  2 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00