[OT] Are we a democracy or a republic?

Erin Sharmahd tuxgirl at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 23:06:16 MDT 2005

> It sounds to me like you would much rather favor anarchism as a form of
> government.  This is actually not a bad position to take.  One could
> argue that a true anarchy combined with  complete and unimpeded markets
> is the way to go.

I did Lincoln-Douglas debate for 2 years in high school, and for 2
months, topic that we discussed was: "Resolved: that an oppressive
government is more desirable than no government."  It was one of the
most interesting and memorable topics that I debated.  I still haven't
made a decision on which I would find "more desirable", but I made a
lot of interesting discoveries along the way.

I have heard the claim (and thought a lot about it) that there isn't
really much of a difference between an oppressive government and
anarchy...

Just adding some fuel... :)

~Erin