[OT] Are we a democracy or a republic?

Andy Bradford amb-plug at bradfords.org
Fri Sep 2 09:44:38 MDT 2005

Thus said Jeremy Hansen on Fri, 02 Sep 2005 09:22:48 MDT:

> Mob rule  and majority rule are  not the same thing.  Majority rule is
> one  definition  of democracy  (notice  I  said  "one"). Mob  rule  is
> anarchy.  The  differences  may  seem  subtle,  but  in  practice  are
> significant. Majority rule  implies that the minority  agree to comply
> with the decisions of the majority.  There is an inherent order to it.
> Mob  rule is  simply the  lack of  order. It  implies survival  of the
> fittest,  kill or  be killed.  Mobs know  tha't there  is strength  in
> numbers, and in an anarchy, whichever mob is the strongest wins.

So  what is  democracy called  when the  minority don't  agree with  the
majority and are thus compelled not  to comply with the decisions of the
majority? Mobs  are strengthened  by numbers and  know that  their power
comes from  their ability to  amass large  numbers of support  for their
cause. How  is majority rule different?  Sounds like mob rule  to me. If
the minority (or even the individual)  doesn't comply with the ``rule of
the majority'' then  they use force to  make you comply or  throw you in
jail. Majority  rule is  no different  than mob  rule; they  oppress the
minority by force if the minority doesn't agree.

> Majority  rule implies  that the  minority  agree to  comply with  the
> decisions of the majority.

This seems  like moral  quick sand  to me, not  to mention  conceited of
those in the majority.

Andy
--
GnuPG ID 0xA63888C9 (D2DA 68C9 BB2B 26B4 8204  2219 A43E F450 A638 88C9)
  9:44am  up 73 days, 18:22,  1 user,  load average: 1.05, 1.04, 1.00