[OT] Are we a democracy or a republic?

Jeremy Hansen atticusser at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 09:22:48 MDT 2005

On 9/1/05, Andy Bradford <amb-plug at bradfords.org> wrote:

> The government of the United States of America was established as a
> Republic. A republic is based upon the rule by laws. A democracy is
> based upon mob rule (aka majority rule).

I know we already had this discussion, Andy, but it may as well be repeated
in a public forum. You can still disagree with me. It will jsut make our
next lunch debate more interesting ;)

Mob rule and majority rule are not the same thing. Majority rule is one
definition of democracy (notice I said "one"). Mob rule is anarchy. The
differences may seem subtle, but in practice are significant. Majority rule
implies that the minority agree to comply with the decisions of the
majority. There is an inherent order to it. Mob rule is simply the lack of
order. It implies survival of the fittest, kill or be killed. Mobs know that
there is strength in numbers, and in an anarchy, whichever mob is the
strongest wins.

As for whether the USA is a republic or a democracy, who says we can't have
our cake and eat it too? We are a democratic republic.

Jeremy