Laptop Ideas

Sasha Pachev sasha at asksasha.com
Fri Sep 2 07:10:47 MDT 2005

Hello, everybody:

I am looking for a laptop for a friend. Requirements:

* must run Linux - preferably everything out of the box without too much black
magic, but willing to deal with large amounts of revealed black magic if the
price is right
* will be used mostly as a mobile Internet/e-mail station, and for other forms
of low system resource activity, so any modern and even not so modern
CPU/RAM/HDD configuration will do ( AMD/Celeron 300/128MB RAM/3GB HDD?)
* as cheap as possible - under $300 would be nice
* needs a Linux-supported soundcard for Skype/other VoIP magic
* minimum risk of difficult/expensive to replace hardware failure, or as minimum
as possible for the price
* does not necessarily need to have built-in wireless/modem/Ethernet, but
recommendations for good Linux compatible PCMCIA/USB cards are appreciated
* hardware warranty desirable (what is the cheapest laptop you can get with
warranty?)

If you have one to sell, feel free to contact me off-list, or I would not mind
getting it from a store.

--
Sasha Pachev
AskSasha Linux Consulting